Embassy of The United States
The Embassy of the United States of America to Kenya, located in Nairobi, is home to the diplomatic mission of the United States to the Republic of Kenya. The embassy opened in central Nairobi on 2 March 1964, when the United States established diplomatic relations with Kenya.
The U.S. Mission in Nairobi is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Visa Assistant.
The jobholder will screen and prepare Immigrant Visa (IV) applications according to a complex set of laws and procedures. Procedures are standardized and policies are clearly defined. The jobholder will file and track the status of cases through a computerized system, print visas, and perform quality checks on all documents. The position also involves translation duties, frequent public interaction, the handling of sensitive personal information, drafting letters, email correspondence, and the use of multiple computer databases and applications. The jobholder maintains a strong working knowledge of consular district geography, including cultural considerations for the six designated countries (Kenya, Burundi, Uganda, Eritrea, South Sudan and Somalia) for which U.S. Embassy Nairobi processes IV/DV cases. The incumbent reports to and is supervised by the LES supervisor of the IV/DV Unit.
- A high school diploma and 2 years of college studies are required.
- Level 4 proficiency in English (reading/speaking/writing) is required; Level 3 proficiency in Somali or Kiswahili (reading/speaking/writing) is also required.
More Details on Experience
- Minimum of 4 years experience in an office environment translating for the public as needed, handling administrative-related duties and providing customer service is required.
- Experience in an office environment handling administrative duties and dealing with customer service.
More Details on Skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Strong writing and typing skills (will be tested) are required.
- Strong computer skills (will be tested on Microsoft Word and Excel) is required.
- Basic numerical skill is required.
- The ability to lift moderately heavy items is required
To apply for this job please visit erajobs.state.gov.